Snow days force changes in Randolph school calendar
RANDOLPH — The Randolph School Board agreed at its Feb. 17 meeting to add two more days to this year’s school calendar due to the extensive number of snow days this winter season.
The days will be April 3 and 27.
Board members also approved the school calendar for 2020-21.
Principal Mary Miller said the calendar creation included input from staff members, which also resulted in a few changes.
“We decided to start parentteacher conferences at 5 p.m. instead of 4 p.m. in the spring,’’ Miller said. “We also extended the next day by an hour.’’
The calendar will be posted on the school website.
The Board also entered executive session Monday for an employee review of the principals and to discuss contracts.
The Board also voted to renew membership with the Nebraska Association of School Boards for a $3,600 fee.
The board also decided to gather for a workshop which will be advertised. Additionally, Supt. Jeff Hoesing said he may meet with the building and grounds committee on some aspects of their work.
The Beef in Schools account has $700 in it.
Miller told Board members students are reading the book, “Almost Super’’ for the One Book, One School program.
The book is about two families with super powers.
She also gave the Board a report on the Feb. 13-14 Parent-teacher conferences.
The elementary had a 78 percent parent turn out. All kindergarten parents attended. High school parent-teacher conferences had a 28 percent participation. Sophomores had the largest attendance.
Principal Brandi Bartels said registration for fall classes is planned for March.
She also reported:
• The jazz band received third place at the Morningside Jazz Festival Feb. 5.
• Football Schedules for 2020 and 2021 were released to the public Feb. 12.
• The Jazz Band received third place at the Morningside Jazz Festival Feb. 5.
• Boys and girls basketball both won consolation games in Lewis and Clark Conference Tournament
• Junior high basketball team finished their seasons with a Tournament Feb. 15.
• Girls basketball subdistricts begin Feb. 18, at Hartington Cedar Catholic High School.
• Boys basketball subdistricts begin Feb. 24, at Wisner.
• Girls and boys basketball districts will be Feb. 28 and 29.
• Speech meets started Feb. 8.
• District Wrestling dates were Feb. 14-15
• State Wrestling begins Feb. 20.
• State Dance Competition is Feb. 21.
• Lewis and Clark Conference Art Show is Feb. 27-March 3, at Wayne State College.