Published On: Wed, Oct 19th, 2011

Bulldogs beat Wildcats in second-half surge

CREIGHTON —  The Creighton Bulldogs broke open what was a tight ball game at the half with a 22-6 third-quarter scoring burst as they downed the Hartington Wildcats 50-20.

The Bulldogs used a punishing ground attack led by Ryan Mitteis, who lugged the ball 13 times for 136 yards and two touchdowns. Jacob Morrill hit the century mark, as well, with 18 carries for 104 yards and two rushing scores.
Nick Miller led the Wildcats with 17 carries for 93 yards and a touchdown. Alec Fuelberth rushed for 49 yards and also scored a rushing touchdown as did Eric Derickson, who had the third rushing touchdown  for Hartington’s offense.
Adam Wortmann was the star on defense for Hartington as he had 21 tackles and Alec Fuelberth and Reece Pederson each finished with 16 stops.
This one looked to be a low scoring affair early as defense dominated the opening quarter and the period ended with a scoreless tie.
Creighton drew first blood in the second quarter when Ryan Mitteis broke free for a 38-yard scoring run. The PAT run was stuffed by the Wildcat defense.
Creighton would mount another drive at the midway mark of the second quarter as they marched 55 yards in 10 plays. Cole Thomas powered in from the seven-yard line to cap the drive. Seth Wilmes bulled in for the PAT and Creighton had built a 14-0 advantage.
Hartington moved the ball quickly down the field on their next possession. Aided by a 20 yard catch and run by Adam Wortmann and a 10-yard scramble by Nick Miller the Wildcats pushed deep into Bulldog territory. Miller would cap the drive with a 1 yard plunge as Hartington drew nearer and trailed 14-6 at the half.
In the third quarter Creighton continued to find success with their running attack. Ryan Metties got his second score of the game on a nice 26 yard option keeper. The PAT run failed and Creighton had stretched their lead to 20-6.
The Wildcats would answer right back. A 59 yard drive fueled by some hard running by Fuelberth and Miller got the ball across mid field. Eric Dedrickson burst around the right side and rumbled 23 yards to pay dirt to make the score 20-12.
The Wildcat defense would receive a blow when they lost leading tackler, Reece Pederson to a possible separated shoulder.
Creighton’s Jacob Morrill would pick up a pair of touchdown runs late in the third quarter. The first was on a 1 yard dive and the second on a 29 yard broken field scamper. The PAT runs were both good and Creighton was in control leading 36-12 at the end of three periods of play.
The fourth quarter would see the Bulldogs on the move again. Seth Wilmes capped a 45-yard drive with a three-yard dive. Jacob Morrill added the PAT.
Alec Fuelberth would show some life was left in the Wildcats as he knifed through the Bulldogs defense on an eight-yard scoring run. Taylor Fischer ran in the PAT and Hartington was still in a big hole trailing 54-20.
Creighton scored again as Reid Liska bolted 70 yards on a kick-off return to make it 50-20.
Hartington    0    6    6      8— 20
Creighton     0    14    22    14 —50

Rushing   Hartington – Nick Miller, 17-93; Alec Fuelberth, 13-49; Eric Derickson 7-36. Creighton – Ryan Mitteis  13-136;  Jacob Morrill  18-104.
PassinG   Creighton – Ryan Mitties, 3-6-87; Hartington – Nick Miller, 2-7-31; Kolby Jueden, 3-3-17.
Creighton – Jake Ripp, 1-49; Seth Wilmes, 1-30. Hartington  –  Adam Wortmann, 3-42.
Tackles Adam Wortmann, 21; Alec Fuelberth, 16; Reece Pedersen,16; Taylor Fischer, 10.