Published On: Thu, May 4th, 2017

Cedar County leaders discuss roads, bridges

HARTINGTON — Board members dealt with county road signs and a bridge project at the April 25 Cedar County Commission meeting.
Hwy. Supt. Carla Schmidt talked to board members about a joint Cedar County/Wayne County Bridge Match Project that has been approved by the State. A bridge in each county will be replaced by a box culvert.
The project will be put out as one package bid in an effort to save money.
The State will pay for 55 percent of the project with money that comes through federal funds. The county will pay the remaining 45 percent of the project.
The estimated cost of the bridge replacement in Cedar County is $150,000. The county’s share will be close to $67,500, Schmidt said.
“Cedar County will be the lead county for the bridge project,” Schmidt said.
Cedar County will receive the funds and then distribute the correct portion to Wayne County.
Each county will pay for the cost incurred in their county.
The bridge that will be replaced in Cedar County is located one mile north of Hwy. 20 then west on Logan Center Road.
Schmidt also talked to board members about a gravel road, known as the St. James spur, that is being used as a detour due to road construction on Hwy. 12 west of Wynot.
“I think we need to post a speed limit sign that would lower the speed limit from 55 mph down to 30 mph on the gravel road,” Schmidt said.
Board members passed a resolution to temporarily change the speed limit on the road.
Board members placed their approval on relocating the Yield sign at the intersection of 554 Ave./898 Road, just south of Aten. The Yield sign, which currently faces traffic coming from the south, will be moved so it faces traffic coming from the west.
A traffic counter had been placed at the corner. The traffic coming from each direction was similar. The count was close to 800 vehicles per week according to Schmidt.
Gerry Thoene, Cedar County Sign Tech, has been checking the reflectivity on signs along county roads and finding that a number of the signs need to be replaced.
Over 200 road signs have been replaced, Commissioners were told.
A large number of the signs that have been posted on minimum maintenance roads need to be replaced.
“Most of the signs have been there a long time. Many of them no longer have reflectivity and they have holes from people vandalizing them,” Thoene said. “It seems like there is a lot more vandalism on signs on the minimum maintenance roads.”
Thoene is starting his second year as the Cedar County Sign Tech.
Schmidt told board members a certified letter has been mailed to a land owner concerning a fence in the road right-of-way. More letters may be going out.
In other actionTuesday, the Commissioners also approved several building permits.
Zoning Administrator Dave Sudbeck presented the applications for permits to the board.
Building permits
Tim Kathol: Sec 29, T32N, R2E, west of Bow Valley, 24X70 foot roof will be added to a bunker silo. The building will be used for a machine shed.
Ryan Loecker: Sec 30, T33N, R1E, a 20×48 pole building for a machine shed.
“The building will be a long way from the road,” he said.
Keith Becker; Sec 14, T31N, R1E, north of Hartington, a 15X15 ft. addition, basement, on the east side of the house.
Steven Meyer: SE1/4 Sec 11, T32N R3E, in Prec. Six, for a 40X72 ft. storage building, for a boat and other items.
“He had previously moved a house in from Wayne. It’s down by the river. It is far enough off the road,” Sudbeck said.
Randy Noecker: NW1/4 Sec 32, T32N, R2E, east of Bow Valley, for a small used bin. It is under a $1,000.
Darrell Dreesen: NE1/4, Sec 6, T30N, R3E, east and south of Hartington, for a 30X40 ft. pole shed. He is replacing a building that blew down in a storm.
Several applications for conditional use permits will be reviewed during a Zoning Meeting which will be held on May 8th according to Sudbeck.

Blowjob